Monday, November 26, 2007

Squeamish

OK I admit it, I'm squeamish! Hubby's bandage needed to be changed after the port surgery.
I took one look at that wound & thought oh no. It was a clear bandage & sterile strips so I could see everything. I called the Dr. Wednesday he said it didn't need to be changed until Thursday afternoon. I breathed a sign of relief.

Thursday after a fabulous meal by mom & my sisters, I just contributed financially;
I tried to sweet talk mom into changing DH bandage. My sis & BIL kept interrupting, giving advice about sterile strips & where I could buy them on Thanksgiving day. I politely ignored them & asked mom to look at the wound. I told her there was no way I could remove the bandage & the sterile strips not come off too. I asked her would she change it.
She worked in a hospital for over 10 yrs. She assisted with hearth caths. She's not squeamish at all. She came over Friday & changed the dressing. She kept trying to show me the old dressing & what to look for to make sure it was not infected. I kept trying to look away. I couldn't believe she couldn't see to look at that was making me ill.
Hubby teased me about the marriage vows & not caring for his wound.
I said I'm making sure your wound is taking care of; me passed out on the floor would not do you, me or your wound any good. Thank goodness for my mother. She runs to my resuce often. I wonder who's going to run to Colin's resue if it squeamishness involved??
Thank goodness I have other strengths & talents.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ray's a nurse! Call if you ever need help, or if your Mom can't/doesn't want to do it!

Marilyn
>^..^<