Thursday, January 17, 2008

iodine deficiency

I'm allergic to iodine, seaweed, kelp, fish, seafood. No wonder I'm having some of these symptoms. I also eat a lot of spinach & cabbage.
Symptoms of iodine deficiency include muscle cramps, cold hands and feet, proneness to weight gain, poor memory, constipation, depression and headaches, edema, myalgia, weakness, dry skin, and brittle nails. Sources include most sea foods, (ocean fish, but not fresh fish, shellfish, especially oysters), unrefined sea salt, kelp and other sea weeds, fish broth, butter, pineapple, artichokes, asparagus, dark green vegetables and eggs. Certain vegetables, such as cabbage and spinach, can block iodine absorption when eaten raw or unfermented and are called goitrogens. But eating fish won't give you iodine in mg amounts. To get
13.8 mg iodine, you would have to eat 10-20 pounds of fish per day.

I hope my Dr has a solution for me. I see him today.

No comments: