Saturday, May 24, 2008

Rough Chemo

Yesterday's chemo treatment did not end well. G got sick after it ended. He seemed OK when we were in the elevator then he got quiet. I asked was he not feeling well & he nodded. I'll spare you the rest of the details.
During the Dr visit before the treatment he told the Dr about his symptoms. He has a hard time w/ his hands & feet. Sometimes he couldn't stand for long. The Dr sd it's good chemo is ending soon for him.

I feel so helpless when he gets sick there is nothing I can do to make him better. I'm wake tonight in the wee hours because I keep checking on him. I can't seem to get back to sleep.

I was chatting w/ one of the ladies I see every time we go to the cancer center for chemo. She's always in a good mood. She was telling me about the different sessions of chemo. She had 4. She's gone through what we are going through 4 different times. She said most of the time she was able to work except w/ ______ drug. I think this is the drug G is on. She said it was a rough one. We've been fighting this chemo battle since last year. It feels so long to me, yet I know we are fortunate. This woman has been fighting this round of chemo for 1 yr. She said at least she didn't loose her hair this time. She ran her fingers through her beautiful curly hair, as she told me her hair was straight before & she never had a curl until now. It came back from one of her sessions completely curly.
I guess I'm really wake because of the amount of young people I see, it's seems every visit I see a new person that's looks so young. I wonder about the lady that looked so fail that we haven't seen in months. This was not her first battle w/ cancer.

Yesterday was our anniversary. We exchanged gifts before we went to chemo. It wasn't our ideal way to spend our anniversary but it beats the alternative. I can't help but wonder about the people that chemo doesn't work, natural or alternative medicine doesn't work. They may not see another anniversary. I'm thankful my husband is on his way to becoming healthy & alive.

3 comments:

kimble said...

I'm so sorry Terri. I see there are only 10 more days left. I pray they go well for you and G. Tell G I am thinking about him and that I think he is quite a trooper.

Trish said...

Terri,
You and G are in our prayers. I check on your blog to see how you're all doing. One day at a time, you'll get there :)

tm1 said...

Thank you both. We really appreciate the prayers & well wishes.