Friday, April 18, 2008

ramblings about time for yourself

I've recently seen & read some things that say take care of yourself, then take care of others. We all need to recharge, it's hard to keep giving to others when you are running on empty.
So, why do I feel guilty when I take time for myself. Why can't I get 3 uninterrupted hours to myself?

I think one reason is for years I've been told that I'm selfish. This never bothered me much when I was single. It bothers me now for someone to call me selfish, because I don't believe it's true. I spend much of my day doing things for others. So, why do I care what a few people think. I care because the people are important to me.
I wish I could just do what's best for me & not care what these people think. My plan is to make a change.

I've decided to not base my value as a woman on others opinions. I'm not June Clever; I have no desire to be & that's OK. I don't owe anyone an explanation on why time for myself is important. It's not my responsibility to please them or live up to their expectations. It's my responsibility to be happy & healthy. This will result in me being a better wife, mother, & human being.

1 comment:

Little ol' Me said...

I agree 100%. You don't owe anyone an explaination if you need some time alone.

I think as moms we get so wrapped up in giving. Giving time, and hugs, and comfort, and pleasure to others that there is very little left for yourself sometimes.

Every now and then you have to give yourself permission to step back and take care of your own needs.